Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dawki-Mawlynnong, a trip I won't forget !!


Cradled in the lap of nature, I put my feet gingerly on the rocks. With a phobia of falling, I was sure I was going to topple down the steep slope into the water rushing below. The guide was laughing at my situation. “The trick is not to put your weight on the rocks, just step on them and do it fast!” I wondered how the locals carry water on their backs climbing this slope. And so I descended. Another sight met my eyes. One of the greatest glories of nature- natural bridges. Two huge trees (don’t ask me which trees) on either side of the stream had their roots entwined across the stream, making it a big bridge. The locals said “God provides.” I agreed with them, when I saw the magnificence of the bridges, yes two bridges, made out of tree roots entwined across the river.

I heard squeals of excitement and peals of laughter beyond some rocks. When I looked, I nearly fell off the rocks. Children aged six to eight, were diving into the rapids and swimming like fish. Surprisingly, the rocks in the middle of the rapids were not slippery at all. There was a trick on how to get to the middle too. (This place is full of tricks!) You do not walk with your feet pointing forward. Your feet should point sideways. I tried and voila! I was in the middle of the rushing water, and unfortunately everybody was too busy to take a picture of me :(

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Your write up will certainly help to promote Mawlynnong, maybe I can help in providing more details, am involved in taking the travel trade to Mawlynnong, there are more natural formations which adds upto the circuit for a minimum 2/3 days stay, I will be posting details in the net soon, accomodation bookings is exclusively handled by nakliartours@gmail.com,
Deepak Laloo.